To contact us:

 

Mail:

 

North Stonington Congregational Church

P.O. Box 66

89 Main Street

North Stonington, CT  06359

 

Electronic options:

 

Phone: 860-535-0379

E-mail to:NoStoUCC@comcast.net

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Your online purchase supports the church!

http://www.igive.com/NSCC-UCC

 

 

Website donated by Brian Hager

Welcome to:

North Stonington Congregational Church

We are an Open and Affirming Church

Milestones in our Past

The town's history and that of our Congregational Church are closely linked.  The political boundaries were actually drawn as a result of the geographic division that was made in order to establish the North and the South Ecclesiastical Societies of the larger town of Stonington.

 

1720        Early worshipers from the north part of Stonington who traveled to the meeting house on Pequot Trail undertook to have religious services held in their own vicinity.

 

1721        An ecclesiastical line of division was established by the Connecticut General Assembly and the first North Society meeting was held on January 18, 1721.  The society voted to build a house of worship about one mile north of the village at "Meeting House Corner" (the intersection of Wyassup and Reutemann Roads.)  In time the meeting house became known as "the old black meeting house", because the unpainted wood weathered to a dark color.

               (Model  made by Richard Wingate based on plans noted in early church records.)

 

1727        The North Society voted to call Mr. Ebenezer Russell as their first permanent minister.              

 

1742        James Davenport, of Long Island, a "New Light" preacher divided the church; many left and started the Strict Congregational Church.  After Joseph Fish's death in 1781 there was no regular pastor for 36 years.

 

1817        The "old black meeting house" was taken down and a house of worship was erected on our present site.  That building was constructed with the boards from the "old black meeting house," and stood here for another 30 years.  The two churches also began the reunification process, which was completed in 1827.

        

1848        The present church was built for the sum of $3,350.

 

 

 

 1853        The parsonage was built, and the horse blocks were added on each side of the front of the sanctuary.

 

1886        Funds donated by Major Dudley R. Wheeler provided the stained glass windows and furniture:  pews, pulpit and wainscoting, all of beautiful solid cherry.  The building was rededicated in April, 1887.

 

1889        Annie Wheeler donated $1000 to establish a library for the pastor and a "Sabbath School".

 

1905        The church organization and the Ecclesiastical Society merged.  The church was incorporated and the Society was dissolved, transferring all property to the church.

 

1921        Electricity was installed in the church and parsonage.

 

1945        A pipe organ was installed in the balcony of the sanctuary.  In the difficult mid-1940's the church federated with 3rd Baptist Church, which union lasted until 1959.

 

 

1961        The ecumenical movement led to the church's decision to become part of the United Church of Christ.

 

1965        The Hewitt Hall Annex was built and dedicated.  The campaign was led by Rev. Edward H. Hayes and Mrs. Antoinette Butler Hewitt, a lay leader and major donor for whom the hall was named.

 

1971        The 250th anniversary of the church was celebrated under the leadership of Mr. Donald Judge and Rev. Hayes.

 

1996        The 275th anniversary of the church was celebrated with music and text taken from the previous leaders of the church.

 

1999 Gifts in memory of Dr. James Sweet, Ethel Fennell, Jane Cary Nearing, Marlene Peabody and the Carlson Family Foundation enabled the updating of the Bride's Hall, restoration of the front steps and railing, and additions to the sound system.

 

2011       Hewitt Hall exterior was renovated to it’s original beauty.

 

"And how are they to hear without a preacher?"

                                  Romans 10:14

 

In gratitude for all those who have come before us, and in celebration with all those present with us now:

 

Our Church Ministers

1727 to 1731

Rev. Ebenezer Russell

1732 to 1781

Rev. Joseph Fish

[1746 to 1749

Rev. Matthew Smith

[1753 to 1755

Rev. Oliver Prentice

[1759 to 1780

Rev. Nathan Avery

[1786 to 1819

Rev. Christopher Avery

1812 to 1822

Rev. Asahel Nettleton

1824 to 1837

Rev. Joseph Ayer

1837 to 1839

Rev. Peter H. Shaw

1839 to 1844

Rev. Philo Judson

1846 to 1852

Rev. Myron Morris

1853 to 1869

Rev. Stephen Hubbell

1873 to 1879

Rev. James R. Bourne

1881 to 1884

Rev. John W. Savage

1884 to 1900

Rev. William B. Cary

1900 to 1909

Rev. Edwin Judson Klock

1909 to 1914

Rev. Frederic M. Hollister

1915 to 1925

Rev. Oren D. Fisher

1925 to 1937

Rev. Inor Partington

1938 to 1942

Rev. C. Thurston Chase

1947 to 1948

Rev. John G. Clark

1948 to 1952

Rev. Thomas E. Moye

1953 to 1955

Rev. George Brown

1955 to 1971

Rev. Edward H. Hayes

1972 to 1999

Rev. Newell E. Bishop

1999 to 2002

Rev. Lee A. Ireland

2002 to 2008

Rev. Rachel Fay Dunn

2008 to 2011

Rev. Linda Higgins

2011 to now

Rev. Susan Latourette

"[" denotes "Strict" clergy

 

Current Staff

 

Ministers:

All the people of the congregation

Pastor:

The Rev. Susan Latourette

Christian Ed:

Mrs. Kay Lautzenheiser

Music Director:

Mr. Michael Noonan

Sexton:

Mr. Robert Janda

Secretary:

Mrs. Rosemary Kuemper

 

"Today we search our past to find

Our roots and how they grew;

The work and sacrifice of love,

That our ancestors knew.

 

We want to learn of this, dear Lord,

To gain a better view.

That we may find a challenge there,

Our lives a brighter hue.

 

Beyond the veil of circumstance,

They rose to every strife;

This fills our hearts with hope today,

This gave our church its life.

 

And so let us be so inspired

To carry on, be true;

With a new vigor, fainting not,

The  Lord's good work to do."

 

 

Hymn written by Anne Gray, 1971,

Member of this church,

For the 250th anniversary.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

North Stonington Congregational Church

 

1720 to Now        

 

From there:                                                                              To here:

 

“Our Treasured Past” submitted by the Pianka Family

 

 

History of the Church

Home

Find and Contact Us

Calendar

Worship Watch

Pastor's Message & Sermons

"The Chimes"

"Videos, Pictures and Audio Links"

Fellowship Activities

Christian Education

Music Ministry

Church Organ

Choir Info

Missions

Stewardship

Church History

Church Staff

Nursery School